Covid-19: Doing Dine Out Safely
How to Dine Out in 2021
Dine Out Vancouver Festival is a promotional umbrella that brings together hundreds of chefs, more than 300 restaurants, wineries, craft breweries, suppliers and more for a month of dining, food-forward virtual experiences designed to give culinary enthusiasts the opportunity to taste the best flavours of the city. With public health guidance, restaurants have implemented health and safety measures to ensure that patrons can safely support dining establishments within their community.
- With over 330 participating restaurants in Dine Out Vancouver this year and the longest run ever – spanning 31 days – diners have more time to safely explore more restaurants than ever before to show their support and love for local eateries in their community
- Current provincial orders require patrons to dine only with someone from their own household, and within their local community. So, support your neighbourhood restaurants!
- Your Dine Out experience will look and feel different than in previous years as restaurants have invested in implementing government-approved health and safety measures to protect both patrons and their employees.
- The guidance from public health authorities limits capacity for restaurants, so it is even more important to honor your reservation or cancel well in advance.
- Looking for a change in scenery? Book a night at your local hotel and make it a night out! Vancouverites, when you book a night at a downtown Vancouver hotel during Dine Out dates, you will receive a $50 gift card* (*for each night up to a maximum of 5 nights). A worry-free and refreshing way to enjoy BC wines and local craft beers with your Dine Out menu!
What experiences can we expect this year?
This year, Dine Out is excited to present a collection of virtual culinary experiences, talks, and exhibits. The full list of experiences launches on Monday, January 25th. To register, please visit: https://www.dineoutvancouver.com/events/
What measures have restaurants taken to make dining-out safe?
With public health guidance, restaurants are ensuring that diners can safely support them by implementing the following: limiting capacity, table spacing, plexiglass dividers, masked servers, sanitizer and contact tracing. Dine Out guests are reminded to wear a mask when not seated at your table and table-hopping is not permitted.
What measures have hotels taken to make staying in a hotel safe?
Vancouver hotels have implemented health and safety protocols to ensure guest safety including appointing a Cleanliness Manager to develop a cleanliness plan with stringent cleaning protocols, front and back of house signage featuring health and hygiene reminders, masked employees, one-way guests flows with marked entrances and exits and public spaces that are configured to promote social distancing.
Are we allowed to go to restaurants?
Yes, the current BC provincial health order (Dec 30) allows dining with conditions including:
Patrons to dine only at a local restaurant within their health region
Maintaining a 2-meter physical distance from other patrons unless barriers are present
Patrons must be seated for service
Maximum of six (6) people at a table from your core bubble (household)
Masks are required when patrons are not seated ie. moving to and from the table and going to the washrooms
Each premise must have a COVID safety plan and employee protocols in place
For more details please refer to the text of the order and the province-wide restrictions.
Who can I dine out with?
You can dine with members of your core bubble (household) as defined by the Provincial Health Officer (here).
Are reservations required?
Yes, to ensure you are able to get a table please book here.
How many people are allowed at a table?
Maximum of six (6) people at a table from your core bubble (household).
How many people can be in a restaurant at a time?
The number of people allowed in a restaurant is determined based on the permitted capacity, patio seating, and available distances/barriers as a part of the provincially mandated COVID safety plan. This capacity should be visibly posted.
I am not comfortable dining in at a restaurant, are there other Dine Out experiences I can participate in?
Yes, restaurants are also offering a take out option with specially priced menus from $15-$54. Visit the restaurants page and filter the list of participating restaurants by ‘Take Out’ to learn more.
Who can book a hotel?
Downtown Vancouver hotels are currently offering a special Visa Gift Card Promotion and are accepting bookings. We are encouraging people to stay local, avoid non-essential travel from other health regions to the Vancouver Coastal Health Region, and follow provincial health guidelines and orders when making their hotel bookings. Therefore, only locals from the Vancouver Coastal Health Region (Vancouver, Richmond, and the North Shore) should be making a booking at a downtown Vancouver hotel.
Due to some limitations from the Province-wide restrictions and Provincial Health Orders, some facilities may not be available. It is best to inquire when booking.
Looking for more?
Please visit our COVID-19 information page